Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Unscathed

Mike and I experienced our first really scary ordeal with Ava this weekend. I’ll start off by saying that, thanks goodness, she made it through virtually unscathed, but I have never been so scared in my life.

During our daily walk in our neighborhood on Sunday, I tripped and fell with Ava in the Baby Bjorn (front carrier). Although my left arm took the brunt of the fall, I did land on top of her. Now that it’s all over we can happily say she only ended up with a little bump on her forehead and some sand in her eye, but in the hours leading up to that affirmation we were terrified. It was heartbreaking to see her so scared and wounded. But she had a CT scan and everything looked great.

My heart and left arm are broken, but both will heal. Like Mike said, Ava’s smiles and little laughs everyday are the best pain killer for my arm and mender for my heart.

Mike asked me after this happened, “so, will this make the blog?” At first I thought, “no way!” simply because it’s so alarming and a little embarrassing, but then I thought more about it and figured it is now part of Ava’s little history, so it’d better.










On a brighter note, Ava’s latest fascination is with our dogs. When they approach her, she smiles her biggest smiles and sometimes even giggles for them!

3 comments:

Barbara Kuzma said...

Hugs for the Gundergirls (and the GunderDad too!) ... We are glad to hear things are OK ... and are sorry for your angst. You both look great in the photo and it's nice for your fans to see that you're alright!

Kuzma's

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you both are O.K., although I can't imagine how scared you must have been. At least you were wearing a front carrier that is easy to get her and you out of. Jack sends you both get-well kisses (well, he mostly slobbers, but you get the point!).
Stacey

Mandy said...

i am glad to see you can still use your hand despite the cast. injuries are scary and unsettling. i hope you're both recovering ok.